Ask Kim


Getting Out of an RMD Penalty
[QUESTION]My brokerage firm didn't include one of my traditional IRAs when calculating my required minimum distributions over the past three years, so I took out less money than I should have. Is there a way to avoid paying the 50% penalty? -J.D., Georgetown, Maine

See Also: 10 RMD Mistakes to Avoid

[ANSWER]You can ask the IRS to waive the penalty. First, calculate the amount you should have withdrawn as your RMD for each of those years and withdraw the money right away. Then file a separate Form 5329 with the IRS immediately for each year's RMD you missed. Complete lines 52 and 53 with the amount you should have withdrawn, then write RC, which means "reasonable cause," and the amount of the penalty you want waived in parentheses on the dotted line next to line 54. Add a brief note saying that the RMD was omitted by the brokerage and was withdrawn immediately upon discovery, says Ed Slott, publisher of (See instructions for's Form 5329.)

You don't need to send any penalty money unless you hear back from the IRS denying your request for a waiver. Slott says he's never seen a penalty not waived for someone who withdrew the money as soon as he or she realized the mistake and filed Form 5329 with a reasonable excuse.

See Also: Calculate Your Required Minimum Distribution From IRAs


Copyright 2019 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

Credit Report Error? They All Matter

[QUESTION]An address listed on my credit report is incorrect. Is there any reason to start a dispute...

Insurance for a Learning Driver

[QUESTION]My son is about to get his learner's permit. Do I need to let my insurance company know now,...

529 Plans Aren't Just for Kids

[QUESTION]Can I use money tax-free from a 529 college-savings plan to pay for continuing education? Or...

Provided by Kiplinger