Ask Kim


Credit Report Error? They All Matter
[QUESTION]An address listed on my credit report is incorrect. Is there any reason to start a dispute to change it? -K.K., Christine, N.D.

See Also: 7 Habits of People With Excellent Credit Scores

[ANSWER]It's a good idea to fix the error. The incorrect address could be the result of a "mixed file," when information of two individuals gets combined into one credit report, or "it could be an indication of an attempt at identity theft," says Paul Stephens, of the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. You can file a dispute on the credit bureau's website (, or Stephens advises examining all of your credit reports for suspicious activity. You can order a free copy of your credit report from each bureau once a year at

See Also: Credit Card Payoff Calculator


Copyright 2019 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

Insurance for a Learning Driver

[QUESTION]My son is about to get his learner's permit. Do I need to let my insurance company know now,...

Getting Out of an RMD Penalty

[QUESTION]My brokerage firm didn't include one of my traditional IRAs when calculating my required...

529 Plans Aren't Just for Kids

[QUESTION]Can I use money tax-free from a 529 college-savings plan to pay for continuing education? Or...

Provided by Kiplinger