Ask Kim


Insurance for a Learning Driver
[QUESTION]My son is about to get his learner's permit. Do I need to let my insurance company know now, or should I wait until he has his full license? -S.R., Tampa

See Also: Teenagers Can Be a Pain (to Insure)?

[ANSWER]Contact your car insurance company as soon as your son gets his learner's permit to make sure he's covered, even though your premiums may not increase until he has his full license. But start thinking of ways to reduce the premiums when he does get his license. He can help by keeping his grades up to at least a B average and taking a driver's education course. You can also designate him as a driver of an older car with only liability coverage, says Jeffrey Collignon, of USAA. Meanwhile, consider raising the policy's liability limits, increasing deductibles if the car has comprehensive and collision coverage, and adding an umbrella policy to protect your assets in case he injures somebody or damages another car.

See Also: Are You Getting the Best Deal on a Used Car?


Copyright 2019 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

Credit Report Error? They All Matter

[QUESTION]An address listed on my credit report is incorrect. Is there any reason to start a dispute...

Getting Out of an RMD Penalty

[QUESTION]My brokerage firm didn't include one of my traditional IRAs when calculating my required...

529 Plans Aren't Just for Kids

[QUESTION]Can I use money tax-free from a 529 college-savings plan to pay for continuing education? Or...

Provided by Kiplinger