Ask Kim


529 Plans Aren't Just for Kids
[QUESTION]Can I use money tax-free from a 529 college-savings plan to pay for continuing education? Or do I have to be enrolled in a college degree or certificate program? -C.B., Bethlehem, Pa.

See Also: How Well Do You Know 529 Plans?

[ANSWER]As long as you are taking the course at an eligible institution, the cost of tuition, fees, required books and software can be withdrawn tax-free from the 529, even if you aren't in a degree or certificate program. Eligible institutions include accredited colleges, universities, vocational schools and other postsecondary educational institutions that participate in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education (see's Federal School Code Search tool). Nearly 4,000 U.S. institutions qualify, along with some outside of the U.S., says James DiUlio, chairman of the executive board of the National College Savings Plan Network.

Continuing education needed to maintain a professional license may also be eligible, depending on the institution where you take the course.

See Also: What to Do With Leftover Money in a 529 Plan


Copyright 2019 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

Credit Report Error? They All Matter

[QUESTION]An address listed on my credit report is incorrect. Is there any reason to start a dispute...

Insurance for a Learning Driver

[QUESTION]My son is about to get his learner's permit. Do I need to let my insurance company know now,...

Getting Out of an RMD Penalty

[QUESTION]My brokerage firm didn't include one of my traditional IRAs when calculating my required...

Provided by Kiplinger