Ask Kim


Using a 529 Plan for High School

[Question]What are the rules for withdrawing money from a 529 college-savings plan to pay for high school expenses? - E.L., Oakland, Calif.

[Answer]Federal law now allows you to withdraw up to $10,000 tax-free from a 529 plan each year to pay tuition for kindergarten through 12th grade. Most states follow the federal law, but a few have different rules. California, for example, charges a 2.5% state penalty tax on earnings used for K-12 tuition. Oregon residents may have to repay any tax deduction they received for 529 plan contributions if they use the money for K-12 expenses. Check with your state and plan before making the withdrawal. See for links to state plans.


Copyright 2019 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

Credit Report Error? They All Matter

[QUESTION]An address listed on my credit report is incorrect. Is there any reason to start a dispute...

Insurance for a Learning Driver

[QUESTION]My son is about to get his learner's permit. Do I need to let my insurance company know now,...

Getting Out of an RMD Penalty

[QUESTION]My brokerage firm didn't include one of my traditional IRAs when calculating my required...

529 Plans Aren't Just for Kids

[QUESTION]Can I use money tax-free from a 529 college-savings plan to pay for continuing education? Or...

When to Transfer Ownership of a Custodial Account

[Question]My son is turning 18 this year. Do I need to contact my brokerage firm to transfer ownership...

Next Page >
Provided by Kiplinger