Ask Kim


Recouping Social Security Benefits
[QUESTION]I started taking Social Security at 62, but my benefits were reduced two years later when I started working again. Do I ever get those benefits back? - K.M., Atlanta

See Also: Do You Know the Best Social Security Claiming Strategies?

Yes. Your monthly benefits will be increased in the month you reach full retirement age to account for the forfeited benefits. If you earn more than $17,640 in 2019, Social Security temporarily withholds $1 in benefits for every $2 in earnings above that limit. After you reach your full retirement age (age 66 for people born in 1943 through 1954), you can earn an unlimited amount without affecting your Social Security benefits.


Copyright 2019 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

Ways to Spend Your Flexible Spending Account...

[Question]I just realized that I have a few hundred dollars left over from my flexible spending...

Paying for Continuing Education With a 529 Plan

[Question]Can I use money tax-free from a 529 college-savings plan to pay for continuing education? Or...

Making the Most of a Health Savings Account...

[Question]Does the penalty for using health savings account money for non-medical expenses disappear...

What's the Best Medigap Policy

[Question]Do you have any advice to help me choose which type of Medicare supplement plan to buy? - M...

Credit Freezes Aren't Foolproof

[Question]My wife and I both froze our credit reports to prevent identity theft. With the freeze in...

Next Page >
Provided by Kiplinger